Doug crafted these, and I just adapted for fall 2018:
Talking points for on-air pitching -- approach it as a listener and as a DJ
When listing reasons for listeners to donate to KDRT, talk about the aspects of KDRT that you enjoy participating in the most. Be passionate, upfront, and personal and explain exactly why listeners need to go to their computers and support KDRT. Consider that it’s possible that listeners are listening via the computer at that very moment.
- Talk about the benefits a local radio station brings to Davis. Besides enhancing out local culture, radio helps during emergencies.
- BE SURE AND MENTION “kdrt.org/donate” as the place to go for donating.
- Talk about the thank-you gifts that are available at the various levels of pledging: KDRT T-shirts for a $50 donation, special Fall 2018 Deep Roots shirt for $60 donation, some books for $30, and an hour of being a guest DJ for $100.
- Talk about the monthly recurring donation option: Listeners can choose to make a monthly donation of their choice, as little as $5-$15 per month. It’s an amount that is automatically deducted and hardly missed by the donor, but adds up at the end of the year as a generous donation to KDRT.
- Talk about KDRT’s programming – music and public affairs with a Davis viewpoint. Choose 1 or 2 programs that are really make a difference to you as a listener and expound a bit on the sounds and ideas that really appeal to you as a critical listener.
- Talk about your own program and the sounds and ideas that you try to get across on a weekly basis.
- Talk about the fact that Davis is very fortunate to have a community media center that includes a local radio station. Local radio is all but a thing of the past in the post-corporate media takeover. Low-power FM stations support and reinvigorate communities by telling the local stories and giving voice to local community members and organizations.
- Talk about KDRT’s place in the local music community. Think about how KDRT promotes and supports music events with on-air interviews, recordings and live broadcasts at Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, the Davis Music Festival, the Davis Live Music Collective, the Dock Store, and the Second Friday ArtAbout broadcasts from Armadillo Music.
- Talk about anything KDRT related that is special to you.